Last year, during #MeToo movement, music composer Anu Malik has been accused of sexual harassment by singers Sona Mohapatra, Neha Bhasin and Shweta Pandit.
And now after almost a year, Anu has opened up about the #MeToo allegations levelled against him. The singer denies the allegations and says he is in pain and in a dark space, and has demanded justice.
“It has been over a year that I have been accused of something that I haven’t done. I have been silent all this while as I was waiting for the truth to surface on its own. But I realise that my silence on the matter has been misconstrued as my weakness,” he began his note that he shared on Twitter.
Anu Malik finally breaks his silence on #MeToo controversy
The music composer said he wondered why the allegations were resurfacing only when he is back on “television, which is currently my only source of livelihood?”
“Being a father of two daughters, I can’t imagine committing the acts that I am accused of, let alone do it. Fighting a battle on social media is an endless process, at the end of which nobody wins. If this keeps on continuing. I will have no option but to knock on the doors of the courts to safeguard myself,” he added.
“I would like to thank my well-wishers who have been with me and my family through this dark phase. I don’t know how much more slander and dirt my family and I can take.”
— Anu Malik (@The_AnuMalik) November 14, 2019
Last year, singer Sona Mohapatra along with singers like Shweta Pandit had levelled allegations of sexual harassment against the composer. Following all this, Malik stepped down from the jury panel of the 10th season of the famous reality television show, Indian Idol.