Bollywood actor Nana Patekar recently celebrated his 66th birthday on January 1. Recently, the actor has spoken out against Sanjay Dutt in a rare outburst amid a chorus of celebrities voicing support for the convicted Bollywood star who returns to prison in May.
Patekar, a Bollywood veteran and three-time National Award winner, said he will never work with Dutt or watch his films. “I have not worked with him in 22 years of my career, I will not work with him in future too,” the actor told a news channel.
“Government will do whatever they want. They are saying that it is legal, you can’t say anything about it. But I will do whatever is in my hands,” he added.
Dutt, 54, was convicted by the Supreme Court for illegal possession of arms in connection with the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case and was sentenced to six years of imprisonment. He had earlier served 18 months of jail and had surrendered himself before a Mumbai court on May 18, 2013 to serve the remaining period of his imprisonment.
“You will watch his films and make him a hero and later you say he shouldn’t get parole. Things don’t work like that. What can I do? Who will listen to me? People think he is only an actor. I am also a common man but who will consider that,” Patekar said.
Patekar hinted that Dutt, the most high-profile of 100 people involved in the Mumbai bombings trial, had been let off lightly.
Twelve people received the death penalty and 20 others were given life sentences in the case. “The nature of his crime is horrible. Why should justice be meted out differently for him?” Patekar said.
“The law is different for a poor man and different for me, just because I am actor? Why should that be?” he said.